Automated Trash Collection
NEW: AUTOMATED TRASH COLLECTION
The Township of Willingboro is very excited and proud to be moving to fully automated trash collection for residential solid waste beginning on June 1st. Automation will save time and tax dollars and help to keep our neighborhoods and streets neat and clean on collection day. In addition, Willingboro has entered a new contract with Republic Services to begin automated services on the same date.
The automated system will operate the same way that our current recycling program operates: Trash will be collected by trucks outfitted with motorized arms that will pick up, empty, and return your trash cart to the curb. As a resident, your trash collection experience should not change. Your trash will be collected on the same day as it has always been.
As part of this program, each household in the Township is being provided with one (1) green, 96-gallon, wheeled trash cart. This bin is property of Willingboro Twp and has been linked to your address by a serial number embedded on your cart. Proper care of the carts is the responsibility of the homeowner. If you move from your home, the cart must remain with the property.
Only contents within the cart will be collected. Nothing on the outside of the cart will be taken. Willingboro encourages our residents to properly recycle more and reducing the amount of trash collected, ultimately saving additional tax dollars.
- Place all waste materials inside the automated cart. Lid must be able to close
- Trash should be bagged before it is put in the cart. Bagging helps keep your cart clean and reduces windblown litter and odor
- Tires, hazardous waste, liquid paint, motor oil, and electronics are prohibited
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW ABOUT THE 96 GALLON WHEELED CART
- Each cart is the property of the Township and will be embossed with the Township name. An identification tag assigns a number to each property owner and street address. The Township will maintain a database for the numbered containers. The cart remains with the address in the event of a move.
- Hinges keep the lids attached and prevent lids from blowing around and being run over by cars or lost.
- Lids keep animals out and prevent trash from escaping and blowing around the neighborhood.
- Automated carts are designed to stay upright in up to 45 mph winds.
- The footprint of the cart is like a regular container, but it has three times the capacity.
How To Place The Carts At The Curb For Collection
- Remember to place carts in the street with the wheels against the curb with the lid opening towards the street.
- If there is no curb, then carts must be at the street line within two feet of the street
- Please place the cart at least 4 feet from trees, utility pole, mailbox, fire hydrant, etc., and at least 5 feet away from any cars parked in the street.
- Do not lean anything against the container, as it cannot be lifted for dumping.
- The automated truck arm has a maximum reach of 4 feet. The arm requires 3' clearance around the cart for the lifting mechanism to work properly. Cars parked within 5 feet of the container will inhibit or even prevent collection.
ANY TRASH PLACED OUTSIDE OF THE CARTS WILL NOT BE COLLECTED.
Caring For Your Cart
- Do not drag the cart when moving it. Tilt and roll it with the lid closed.
- Keep lid closed at all times.
- If there is snow, our contractor will do its best to pick up trash during bad weather.
- Clean the cart periodically with water.
- Store the cart in the backyard, side yard, or garage.
- Do not store it near a fireplace, furnace, grill or other heat source.
- Do not place hot ashes, solvents, paints, or other flammable liquids in the cart.
- Do not use the cart to hold hazardous materials such as: dead animals, chemicals, oils, flammable liquids, medical waste, exposed needles, used bandages, etc.
- Do not place dirt, rocks, large limbs or building materials in the cart.
- Do not place automotive parts or tires in the cart.
- Do not overfill the cart to the extent the lid will not fully close. If the lid is not closed, garbage will spill onto the road during collection so the container will not be emptied.
- Do not allow children to play in or on the cart.
- Please DO NOT write house numbers or put any other marking on the carts.